Monday, December 10, 2007

It's My Blog, And I'll cry If I want to!

"You rock on to the moon and shit, yo."
This little boy came up to me this afternoon and asked me for a cigarette.
(Ruth, unfortunately you had left for the night. Wish you were here b/c I know that you would have appreciated this.)
He couldn't have been more than 13....14 years old, at best. I polite replied, "I'm sorry, I don't smoke." The poor little boy looked at me and rolled his eyes.
"I'm not as young as I look." This is cute, he is trying to negotiate.
"You look young enough to not be able to smoke, and old enough to know that I wasn't born yesterday." I replied.
"Why can't you just give me a cigarette?"
"Why can't you just be eighteen?" I retorted.
"C'mon, help a brother out."
"I don't give cigarettes to my brother either."
Silence takes hold of the conversation for a brief moment. I'm smiling at him, trying not to notice his acne ridden chin.
"Can I just...''
"No," I interjected "you can't JUST. Smoking is gross. It is bad for you. And there could only be two reasons you could possibly want a cigarette. 1- You are trying desperately hard to be in with the in crowd, in which case you are going to feel mightily stupid when you die of lung cancer at the age of fifty. OR 2- You are a junkie trying to ease the painful aftermath of a binge, which we recovering junkies like to call "fiending", in which case you are too fucked up to know that no matter how much you smoke it's not going to help with the come down, only make it worse and when you die of lung cancer at the age of fifty...boy won't you feel stupid."
The boy walked away. Now I know that I am not exactly the poster child for D.A.R.E., or the Lung Cancer Foundation (if there is one) but I have my moments of clarity and I share them when I have the opportunity to do so. Smoking is a very nasty habit, but it's better than....well shit, it's better than not smoking. God I love smoking, it tastes so good. Mmmmmm........




I am Listening to this song....the one that I typed out right here, lower. Look lower. There you go.

REGINA SPEKTOR LYRICS"That Time"Hey remember the time when I found a human tooth down on Delancey Hey remember that time we decided to kiss anywhere except the mouth Hey remember that time when my favorite colors were pink and green Hey remember that month when I only ate boxes of tangerines So cheap and juicy, tangerines Hey remember that time when I would only read Shakespeare Hey remember that other time when I would only read the backs of cereal boxes Hey remember that time I tried to save a pigeon with a broken wing A street cat got him by morning and I had to bury pieces of his body in my building's playground I thought I was going to be sick, I thought I was going to be sick Hey remember that time when I would only smoke Parliaments Hey remember that time when I would only smoke Marlboros Hey remember that time when I would only smoke Camels Hey remember that time when I was broke I didn't care I just bummed from my friends Bum, bum, bum, bum, bum... Hey remember that time when you od'ed Hey remember that other time when you od'ed for the second time Well in the waiting room while waiting for news of you I hallucinated I could read your mind And I was on a lot of shit too but what I saw, man, I tell you it was freaky, freaky

2 comments:

twelve_squared said...

*lol*

freaky...

I fantasize I can see inside the minds of those closest to me all the time... and the shit I'm on cant be bought or sold except on the telephone, I guess. *lol*

your moments of clarity are, as always, almost moments of hillarity. I'm sorry I missed it.

xxoo

Shadows and Starlight said...

Ahhh come on, that kid was twelve going on 42, or something...! LOL. Good one, and thanks for being the funny PSA about smoking this year. It of course made me wonder why the hell I continue to smoke. Then I remembered that the beer wouldn't be nearly as satisfying without the cigarettes. And as to why I drink and smoke, now that is a question for the ages.